Unlock your health, weight-loss and wellbeing potential with genetic testing!
There is no one perfect diet to suit everybody, that is increasingly clear. So, how do we identify the optimal diet for each person? The first step is to identify the genes involved in different dietary and biological responses. Genes are the raw material, a bit like clay. And we now discover that environmental factors (including nutrition and lifestyle) mould the clay into shape, in other words they massively influence how those genes express themselves and affect our health.
The brilliant news is that whilst genes reveal your predispositions – good, not so good or neutral – the new science of epigenetics tells you what to do about them. By making changes to nutrition and lifestyle, you can activate or inhibit certain genes to improve your physical and mental health and achieve long-lasting results.
There are plenty of genetic tests available that provide exhaustive and complex information on genetic variances with little guidance on how to interpret them. Examining genes in isolation can be misleading, as there are many gaps in our knowledge and we must take into account (as best we can!) the interaction between our genetics and our personal environment.
I prefer the approach of analyzing genes alongside current diet and lifestyle habits. This ‘combined’ approach is a more integrative one. It shows how your specific lifestyle is directly affecting your gene expression, and highlights potential health risk factors.
The DNA test kit I recommend to my clients consists of a simple mouth swab. In addition, you will be asked to complete a series of health questionnaires about your diet and lifestyle. Following analysis of the sample and the questionnaires, you will receive a 90 minute Nutritional Therapy session (in Clinic, or by Skype / Telephone as you prefer) which includes:
- DNA results for specific genes* with clear explanations and indicators to highlight your genetic predispositions.
- Clinical analysis with explanations and indicators to highlight lifestyle issues.
- Genotype dietary advice and eating plans to get you started on the right nutritional pathway.
- Genotype exercise plans to do the right workouts for your body type.
- Recommendations for any specific nutritional supplements to tackle your epigenetic issues head-on.
- The opportunity to re-submit your health questionnaire at anytime, free of charge, as your dietary or lifestyle evolves over time – I have found this feature to be a really good motivator… to see whether you have reduced your genetic risk factors.
How to get started with your DNA test:
1. Provide a DNA sample
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your test kit. Provide the DNA sample (a simple cheek swab) and post it to the DNA sequencing laboratory using the prepaid return envelope.
2. Complete the questionnaires online
Your log-in details are sent to you once your test kit has been ordered. Click the Client Login button and complete the questionnaires.
3. When your DNA results are ready, I shall contact you to schedule an appointment to review the results and to provide individual recommendations and plans in detail.
The DNA lab results typically take 4-6 weeks from receipt of your DNA sample.
ILLUMINATING, PRACTICAL & EASY TO USE
For more DNA test information, click here to download the brochure, or contact:
Martina Watts MSc Nut Med. Nutritional Therapist
* This test assesses genetic predispositions for food cravings, sugar metabolism and over-absorption, fat sensitivity and over-absorption, fat release ability and muscle function for exercise. The panel assesses sleep, stress and burnout levels impacting health. It evaluates the main genetic variants in genes that regulate the methylation cycle and detoxification, including oestrogen detoxification. It also assesses genes regulating inflammation and oxidation, and evaluates the main genetic variants regulating caffeine metabolism, lactose intolerance, iron over-absorption, the need for vitamins B, C and D, folate, glutathione and magnesium.